FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT

Have you been fighting life and life’s pressures? Growing up, I faced many challenges and fights so I studied martial arts to be physically ready for some tough challenges. During sparring, my adrenaline and blood would pump so hard it would feel as if I was in a real fight! Well, this is the world that we live in, with a feeling of a never-ending fight on a day-to-day basis; we end up exhausted, tired and dying and as we try to get up the next morning to face new challenges. Even the most powerful men in the world with large resources at their disposal to face large challenges still reach exhaustion in their fights. Here are sound bites from the farewell statements of some former US presidents, upon leaving the White House:

George Washington - “I’d rather be in the grave than in the presidency again”

Thomas Jefferson - “Never did a prisoner released from his chains feel such relief as I shall in shaking off the shackles of power”

James Buchanan (to Abraham Lincoln) - “If you are as happy, dear Sir, on entering this house as I am on leaving it, you are the happiest man in the country”

Abraham Lincoln, after having been in the White House a while: “I feel like the man who was tarred and feathered and ridden out of town on a rail”

James K. Polk: “I shall be a happier man in my retirement”

It doesn’t have to be like this! Jesus said in Matthew 11:28-30 “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke fits perfectly, and the burden I give you is light.” Fight life and life’s pressures with JESUS as your partner!

No comments: