ARE YOU BROKE?

Are you broke, bankrupt or in debt? Well, being broke isn’t necessarily a bad thing. In fact, when I was a kid, being broke was just about the only thing that I knew when it came to money. If I had a penny when I was a kid, I’d feel like a rich man. I remember at one Christmas, we had a youth fellowship where everyone was asked to bring a gift and the only gift that I could afford to buy was a small bar of soap. During the gift opening, I felt terrible as I heard a sarcastic comment from the person who got my little bar of soap. Ironically, you could also feel just as bad if you were really wealthy. A rich man in Matthew 19:21-22 was told by Jesus, "If you want to be perfect, go and sell all you have and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." But when the rich man heard this, he went away sadly because he had many possessions that he didn’t want to give up. Being broke is God’s way of getting your attention. He shows you that there are things that are more important than money and possessions. You might have a lot today, but your life may be quite empty. Don’t be sad about being broke; just follow the Lord and your life will be filled abundantly with happiness.

No comments: